Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Turning Point

Talked to the vet - Jax is a very sick, uncomfortable, dehydrated little dog. She is not sure why he all of a sudden became this way, whether or not it's related to the problem with his prostate or cancer at all, and the only way to find that out is to do an ultrasound. That would be the best way to find exactly what the cause of all his sickness is. But it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. Basically, it comes down to two things: either he is treatable or he's not. If he's treatable, it could be some really bad infection somewhere, possibly in his kidneys or bladder, or who knows. So I opted to go ahead and assume that it's treatable, and do all we can to help him. If he doesn't get any better, then we can assume that it's not treatable and then do what's most humane for him. I'm fine with that decision. So right now, he's on an IV to get some fluids in him, since it's the only way he'll get fluids into his system, and some antibiotics to fight off whatever infection may be there. I'm still trying to decide if I want to leave him there overnight, but I'll talk with the vet some more about that this afternoon. I think if he's going to be sleeping somewhere without an IV in him, it'd be better to have him at home where he can at least be in familiar surroundings and I can keep an eye on him. If they can leave an IV in him overnight, I'll leave him there. I'll be lonely without my puppy though...

I am being as realistic as possible about this. It is very possible that in just a week, or even a few days from now, I may not have a dog anymore... but at least I can prepare myself for that as best I can. Saying goodbye is never easy though.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here if you need me. I will keep Jax and you in my prayers!
We love you Kristi!
Jaime

12/01/2004 2:44 PM  
Blogger Tracie said...

No, saying goodbye is NEVER easy...

12/01/2004 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi,

I am so sorry about Jax. And it isn't depressing if you want to write updates on your blog. I would be doing the samething.

Laura

12/01/2004 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home