Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Emergency Visit

I just returned from the Animal Emergency Clinic... when I got home from work, something seemed not right with Jax. He was shaking, he whined with every breath, and when I gave him his Prednisone pill, he threw it right back up. So after some deliberation, my sister and I decided to take him into the emergency clinic to see what was the matter. I was pretty scared as I had no idea what was going to happen. It seemed like the end was near...

After some tests, the vet determined that he's pretty badly dehydrated. This surprised my sister and me, since all he seems to do at home is drink water, and he barely touches his food unless we hand-feed it to him. But it also explains why his bladder seems to be full all the time... his body is getting rid of fluids faster than he can take them in. Could be a kidney thing... who knows. The vet recommended an overnight hospitalization stay so that Jax could have an IV in him. The cost was going to be almost as much as his surgery was. We deliberated some more and decided to take him home, after the vet gave him a dosage of fluids and pain medication, and he'll have to see his regular vet tomorrow.

So now I have to monitor him tonight, make sure he's more comfortable (he seems to be now. He's not whining anymore...), and check on him again at lunch tomorrow, and my sister will take him to the vet whenever I can get an appointment for him. Hopefully they're not booked up.

One thing after another... he just won't give us a break. Poor little dog can't help it, of course... I think I'm still well enough away from seeking financial counseling, but my credit cards are being stretched quite a bit. And I still have other things to pay for... but I try not to worry about money as far as Jax is concerned... it's that or watch him suffer, right? It's just hard.

I'm going to spend the rest of the night sitting next to him on the couch, hopefully while he sleeps a little bit, work on my crosstitch project, and maybe watch a little TV... just hope he can stay comfortable for the night.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jaime said...

Poor doggie...It's hard to watch them deteriorate and knowing there's nothing you can do except the inevitable. We put Mitzi down about 3 years ago now, so I know what you're going through. Hope your little guy is as comfortable as he can be right now...

11/30/2004 2:01 AM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

My heart goes out to you. I hope he's doing alright. Give him a kiss for me.

11/30/2004 9:01 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Thanks, Steph... I will.

11/30/2004 9:04 AM  
Blogger fishydude said...

:( sorry to hear that.

i went through this with my cat about 6 months ago.
worst times of my life.

hope it turns out to be just a fluke.

11/30/2004 9:19 AM  
Blogger Tracie said...

Aw Kristi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I really hope the poor little guy is ok. Please, call me if you need anything. ANYTHING!

11/30/2004 10:10 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well, he was passed along to us from my brother in Phoenix, who couldn't take care of the dog and his kids, so we ended up with him. It was either that or put him in a pound. We couldn't stand to have him in a pound, so here he is... So yeah, I guess we did agree to take him on, but we felt like we were saving him in the process...

11/30/2004 10:40 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Welcome aboard, Ed! Sorry to hear about your cat... It is always hard when a pet is suffering. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a fluke... I think Jax is on a downward spiral. I'm just trying to keep him as happy as I can.

Feel free to stop by again anytime!

11/30/2004 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home