Sunday, September 24, 2006

N is for Neptune



Seriously, how gorgeous is this planet? Almost makes you want to dive into its ocean of blueness (never mind that you'd be diving into methane ice around -350ยบ Fahrenheit with winds of 2000mph). It's always been my favorite planet, after Earth of course. Neptune was first sighted 160 years ago this weekend, although its existence was mathematically proven a few years before that.

I've always found astronomy fascinating but never studied it formally, due to my revulsion for algebra and physics. But I love observing the sky and learning what goes on in distant worlds. To think that somewhere out there, winds are blasting at 2000 miles an hour over a cold, desolate, yet beautiful planet... and that a massive red storm as huge as two Earths is churning on another... not to mention new stars being born out of clouds and old stars exploding light-years away in the universe... it seems more within the realm of fantasy.

I think I'll curl up on my little couch under a little blanket and read a little book for now. :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

You're such a dreamer. One of the things I love about you.

And that is a GORGEOUS picture. Ya know, for a *planet*...

:P

9/24/2006 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home