Friday, September 22, 2006

L is for Llywelyn's



My favorite little pub in St. Louis. Not to mention it's named for my favorite Welsh hero, Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffudd. The new location in Soulard is the best in my opinion... it's got just the right pub-feel to it. It'd be fun to be there on this Friday night, but the weather is just a bit scary tonight (tornado watches). But I need to find more excuses to go hang out there. I seem to remember something about an open mic...... :)

And here is your "L" place name! If you couldn't say yesterday's, you'd probably hurt yourself trying this one:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

It's the longest place name in the world, and it's in Wales, if you couldn't already tell. :) The translation is "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St Tysilio of the red cave." And yes, the name is a publicity stunt. :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to live less than 2 blocks from the Soulard Llywelyn's! Anyone live closer? I'll buy you a drink if you do! Actually, find me after a few beers and I'll probably buy you a drink regardless! Yep, kinda nasty out tonight Kristi. But I'm up for grabbing a drink there any night, just name it! FYI...Soulard has an Oktoberfest coming up on the 6th, 7th, and 8th. Maybe I should get some people together...

Joseph

9/22/2006 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh...that's also the weekend of the Scottish Festival. Tough choice...

Nice Welsh-filled post today! :) Gotta love Soulard!

9/22/2006 11:49 PM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Let me know one night you want to go, Kristi, and I'll go with you.

And that other place name looks like the sound I make when I throw up. I'm just sayin'...

"Oh God, I think I'm gonna be si--**llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch**--now I feel better." :P

9/22/2006 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home