Saturday, March 15, 2008

Book of Silver

Ok quarters don't technically contain silver anymore, but that's what color they are, right? And this is color-blogging, right?? Hee.



I'm not much of a coin collector, but when the U.S. Mint started releasing the 50 States Quarters in 1999, my dad got me a set of collection books to start collecting all the different quarters. The books hold 100 quarters total: 50 state designs, each released from both the Denver and Philadelphia mints (each quarter has a D or a P on it).

2008 is the final year for the coins to be released, so only a few more designs are left to come out (New Mexico will be released at the end of this month, then Arizona, Alaska, and Hawaii will be left). Time to start assessing my collection... I was able to add a few more quarters after I got back from Washington, but I am still missing lots from over the years! Of course I try to collect the shiniest, prettiest specimens I can find, but I'm looking for anything that I need now. Here are the designs I am still missing (check your pockets and wallets; I'll buy these from you if you have them!):

  • Kentucky (P)
  • Ohio (P)
  • Mississippi (P)
  • Illinois (D)
  • Alabama (P)
  • Maine (P)
  • Arkansas (P)
  • Michigan (P)
  • Florida (P)
  • Texas (D)
  • Iowa (P)
  • Wisconsin (P)
  • Minnesota (D)
  • Kansas (P)
  • West Virginia (P)
  • Nebraska (P and D)
  • Colorado (P)
  • North Dakota (P and D)
  • South Dakota (D)
  • Washington (P)
  • Idaho (P and D)
  • Wyoming (P)
  • Utah (P and D)
  • Oklahoma (D)

It will be cool to have my books totally full! Then maybe this collection will be worth something... :)

Edited to add: I found out in 2009 they will be releasing quarters for the District of Columbia and also some of the territories... cool! Another year of collecting! :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracie said...

I didn't know you collected these! That's pretty cool! I'll try to keep an eye out from now on for you.

3/16/2008 12:14 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Now I don't feel like such a freak for collecting those state shaped cornflakes off Ebay.

Thank you.

3/17/2008 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home