Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lifting the Black Cloud

Ok I'm stretching a bit to do this entry... But I had to somehow work in a post about my next travel excursion, which is rapidly approaching.



I get to go to Washington, DC in about a week and a half! YAY! I'm going with my awesome friend Tanya, who is going there to do some graduate school research and is graciously letting me tag along so I can add one more city to my list of places I've been to. While she is deep in the archives, I will be out sight-seeing, museum-hopping, and getting to know our country's capital just a bit better. I want a picture of the White House, I'd like to tour the Capitol, and of course, there's the "you'll never see everything in a day" Smithsonian Museums.



I have to say that in the back of my mind, I have sort of a gloomy perception of DC... with all its war memorials, Arlington Cemetery, Holocaust Museum, etc... I just hope I don't find it totally depressing. And I'm a bit daunted by the Smithsonian Museums. I'm sure Tanya will be able to point me in the right direction to start, but there's so much to see, and I know I get bored quickly in museums. I just don't want to get overwhelmed with it all. I have only about two and a half days to see as much as I can.

I'm looking forward to breaking down these misconceptions and getting to know DC as the fascinating trove of our country's history that it is. I'll be able to say "I've BEEN there!" every time I see the White House or the Capitol on TV. I'll have a better understanding of the city itself and what to see and do there, since I book people on planes there all the time. :)

And hopefully, maybe some cherry blossoms will be starting to peek out. :)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was going to tell you to take a ton of pictures, then I remembered that I'm talking to YOU and that's not necessary. :)

Have a great trip!

2/29/2008 5:48 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Ooh, i'm jealous. I've been there a few times but the only sight seeing I got to do was down by the pentagon. Unless you count the really rundown neighborhoods on the north side of town right inside the DC border. Arlington Cemetery(from outside the fence), the Pentagon, which was still being rebuilt(my aunt Joan works for the DEA which is right across the street, I was meeting her for dinner) and I got to go tour the Holocaust Museum(that was pretty gloomy but also informative). I hope you have fun.

2/29/2008 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home