Thursday, January 24, 2008

Oranges vs. Juice

And now for your health tip of the day!

Lately I have switched from drinking orange juice in the morning to eating an actual orange. There are three good reasons for this:

1) Oranges fill you up better than juice so I'm not wanting Pop Tarts later.
2) They have fewer calories than juice. An average-sized orange is about 35 calories whereas a glass of juice is about 110-120, depending on what brand you drink. So you could eat THREE regular-sized oranges before you match the calories in a glass of juice. Or have a large orange, which has between 85-100 calories, still fewer than a glass of juice.
3) They have nutritious benefits that juice does not, such as getting a nice dose of fiber in the morning.

And, winter is the best season for oranges anyway, so eat 'em up!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Tracie said...

AND they taste way better than a glass of juice.

Am I the only one here that can't stand orange juice but LOVE oranges?

Maybe I'm just weird. ;)

1/24/2008 10:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I loved oranges more than I do. I just can't stand the little fibery bits that cling to the slices, and it takes forever for me to peel one to my liking, and by then the magic is gone. It's much easier to pour a glass of juice. Heh. And quite frankly, I much prefer cranberry juice. OMG. SO GOOD.

And how messed up is it that my very favorite brand of orange juice is Schnucks???

1/25/2008 11:29 AM  
Blogger SpinKick said...

Hm. I like both, but like Steph, rarely have the patience to peel, which may be why I like clementines. I'm proud of myself for drinking juice at all. I've just recently made orange juice a staple in my house.

I'm surprised I didn't think to write about this, but you know who I think of when I think of oranges?
Mindaugus. He said in Lithuania, you always share your oranges. And he almost always had one with him to share...

1/28/2008 8:26 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I love the taste of oranges. Hate the pulp in oranges, though.

I love fiber. It's one of my hero's. Seriously. Check my myspace page.

1/28/2008 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home