Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Late Shift

Things at work are slowly, slowly getting better... I had a great morning today. All the calls I took before going to lunch were great. I was able to help them and I even did a whole exchange by myself (it wasn't that complicated though.. they could be a lot worse). Then, after lunch, at about 1:30, a guy called in with two tickets to exchange and it was a huge mess. I can't begin to tell you. It took the rest of my shift and even then some. I stayed more than an hour overtime just to straighten everything out. It was a nightmare. But now it's over. I can only hope I don't get anything like that again for a while...

Next week, I start working 11-7:30. How did I get stuck with such a lousy shift?? Well they had a list of schedules that they wanted us to take, and we all (by "we" I mean the new people in the training class) bid on our preferences. Seniority was decided first by whether or not you ever worked for this company in the past (which two of them did) and then by the last four digits of your social security number. And guess what: mine begins with a 9. I was at the smack bottom of the seniority pile. So that's how I got the lousy shift. So I'll have to find productive ways to use those mornings, to at least somewhat make up for the loss of my evenings and being able to go to happy hours and all that...

In other news, my sister and I are giving serious thought to getting another dog. With me not going to work until 11, and her getting off at 5, that's a smaller window of time to leave a little dog at home, so it would be a good puppy-training time. And we both miss having a little dog around. So we're thinking about it... more on that later if anything comes of it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I quite often get the 11-7 shift at work, but I don't make an effort to be productive in the morning. I usually just sleep until 10 or 10:30. But that's me. Glad to hear the job is going better. I'm sure you'll pick things up as time goes by.

6/08/2005 12:38 AM  
Blogger Craig J. said...

Hey, an 11-7:30 shift sounds perfect to me. I'd get to sleep in, wake up without an alarm, have a nice breakfast .. I don't know how your sleep schedule is, but I like staying up late, so to get home at 8 and have the rest of the night to eat and relax suits me fine. When I was working at Kinko's I worked noon to 9pm, so I could take classes in the morning .. that was the best! Those evening hours after all the 9-to-5ers got off went by fastest, cause it would always get much quieter and I had the place to myself.

Anyway, my point is, don't knock it too much .. you might grow to like it :)

6/08/2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Talk about shitty shifts, i got to Buffalo, NY last friday and dont get to go home(spent time all over the state, right now Utica) till monday night. But at least i get off before 7:30 most nights. you'll get used to it.

6/09/2005 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home