Friday, May 27, 2005

Nerves at Work

Well so far this job has been a nightmare since about yesterday when I took my first two phone calls... I am taking calls feeling like I know nothing at all about how to handle these people. I feel like I am relearning everything we learned in the classroom, because once there's a live customer on the phone, the two weeks of knowledge completely flies from my brain and I am operating on sheer nerves. I put them on hold a lot so I can ask questions and then the customers get frustrated that it's taking so long. They're just all going to have to bear with me I guess. Not much else I can do but just keep doing it until I start to get better and better... but I was almost sick at work today from being so nervous on the phones. I felt like if I ate my little chocolate nugget that we get every day at about 3:30 it would give me problems. I just can't relax until I feel more comfortable. I am going to be hating life until I feel better at this. Still... why did I take a job where I have to answer phones and talk to the public? I should've known from the beginning I've never liked that. Guess I'll just have to get used to it. I'm learning tons of great skills for working in this industry though. If I can conquer this job, I'm a travel PRO.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Craig J. said...

I know this is cliche and lame, but .. just keep taking it one day at a time, eventually you will get it. Give it a few months, you'll be a pro. You're a smart girl .. you can do this.

They give you chocolate nuggets every day at 3:30? What are you, gerbils? ;)

5/31/2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

It will get better. I have to call people all the time and lie to them and hope they don't catch on. I get real nervous.

People are like dogs when on the phone, if you have any fear or nervousness in your voice they will hear it and seize on it and make life a living hell. Just relax and think about what you want to say before you do.

6/02/2005 5:30 PM  
Blogger DJJD said...

At my work we have an escalation procedure so every once in a while I have to talk to customers. It is not bad. Some people you just can’t help. Some people don’t know exactly what they want but know they are just not happy. So I am very nice on the phone, please, thank you, have a nice day, small talk because most of the time if they are getting to talk to me they are already on the defensive. So I just have to defuse the person. Then usually they are more than happy to corporate.

6/07/2005 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home