Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Dregs of the Year

Remember a long time ago, when I was singing the praises of October and hailing it as my favorite month? Perhaps some of you asked, "Hm, if October is her favorite month, then I wonder what her least favorite is?" (Okay probably not, but indulge me here.) Well, here's your answer folks. That dismal, dreary, cold month that begins today. The first month of the year when there are no paid holidays at my work, beginning a long holiday drought until the very end of May. The month that contains the drippy, over-commercialized sapfest, Valentines Day (or Singles Awareness Day, as I like to call it). The month that reminds me that I am only half a year away from becoming another year older (my half birthday is Feb. 3). And it's the month that will bring a sharp reminder that after another year, I am still at the same job (my anniversary is Feb. 26). In fact, the only nice thing I can say about February is: it's short. I can hardly fault The Powers That Be for choosing to make February the shortest month of the year. "Well, we need to shave some extra days off of the calendar, should we just take off a few 31st's?" "Nah, let's take 'em all off that lousy stretch of misery between January and March. Nobody'll miss those days. We'll bring one of 'em back every four years in case there's someone somewhere that will, though..."

(Of course, none of the above applies to the lovely Linda who celebrates many happy days this month. Happy birthday and happy anniversary to you and Tim!)

But for me, just wake me when it's over... I bought chai last night and I'm gonna just curl up under some blankets with my nice warm mug and wait it out. ...or, I'll wish I could, at least... :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Don't knock February! It's also my half-anniversary AND the month Nick and I first started dating AND the month he first kissed me.

It's also the month where he neglects the 14th every year, but I still think Valentine's is grand. Refocus the holiday and make it uniquely yours in a POSITIVE way! That's my theory, at least.

I'm quite excited about February as I fully expect to hear the results of the Great Grad School Endeavor this month. And hey - what are you complaining about - you're seeing Les Mis this month!!! :)

2/01/2005 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Kristi! This month really can drone on even though it is the shortest! I know what you mean about Valentines day. I agree that it is "Singles Awareness day." But it could also be the time to share the love with friends and family too. I have always done little things for my family on that day, just to spread the love around.

2/01/2005 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

URG!!! That is me again forgetting to sign my name!
Jaime

2/01/2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Tanya, you are one of the lucky ones immune to February as well. :)

Kristen, I gotta hear that. Sounds hilarious. :)

2/01/2005 2:37 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Jaime, my dad always gets me a card on Valentines Day. It's really sweet. I still have the one from last year sitting on my desk cause it was a really good one. So it's a good idea!

2/01/2005 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just dropping by to say "hi!". Hope your spirits pick up as we move closer to March. :) -Sean

2/04/2005 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home