Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I is for Icing

I am not one of those people who scrapes icing off cakes or cupcakes. It is never too sweet or too rich for me. I will take the corner piece of a cake, thank you, and I will actually eat those big icing flowers. BRING IT!!



Icing is pretty simple to make with confectioner's sugar, milk, and butter, then flavored or colored to match whatever you're putting it on. I have made lemon buttercream frosting that turned out pretty well. But to really whip up a batch like a true chef, you have to boil the sugar to a certain temperature, then beat in egg whites, and finally add butter once it has cooled down. The result is a creamy frosting that is, as the author puts it, "not too sweet" (she IS one of those people who doesn't like too much on her cupcakes!).

So I guess I won't be going to all the trouble to make "real" frosting, I'll take the easy, sweeter stuff! Yum.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home