Tuesday, April 05, 2005

For Ryan

I don't know what to say about the Pope's passing that hasn't already been said. Of course he was a giant of the 20th century. Of course he was an admirable man who drew young and old alike of all faiths to him. Of course he set an example of peace and love in the world. Of course the amount of media coverage given to his death only testified to how much the world loved him and will miss him. And of course it will be difficult for the next pope to fill his shoes. All I can say is that I was blessed to witness his papacy, especially when I got to see him in person at the Mass he celebrated in St. Louis, and perhaps someday I'll tell my children about how great of a man he was. Now all we can do is look forward to the future and stand behind whoever is chosen as JPII's successor...

-------
Added later: Actually, I wanted to add a little memory I have of him from when he came to St. Louis... I remember he was speaking to the congregation during the Mass, probably during the homily. He spoke in slow, heavily accented English, as if it was taking all his concentration just to pronounce the words correctly. Finally he seemed to have strained himself to the breaking point, as if he were trying to sustain a large weight, and suddenly let it go and an outpouring of Italian or maybe Polish came cascading out in a breath of relief. The audience, of course having no idea how he finished the sentence he was in the middle of, just laughed. He once again put on the yoke of English and finished the homily, which I remember was an excellent one, I just don't remember what it was about.

I'll also never forget the flash of cameras when he elevated the host during the Eucharistic Prayer.
--------

And no, I haven't gotten HoB yet. But sometime I will have to look for it. I've just been far too busy! I do want to see it though! :)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Craig J. said...

House of Blues?

4/05/2005 8:40 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Hee hee. Wow you're fast. No, History of Britain. :)

4/05/2005 8:41 AM  
Blogger Craig J. said...

I was just here eating one of Penn's aunts' pies, and decided to check your blog. :) Good timing I guess ..

4/05/2005 8:57 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Excellent timing. :) Probably the fastest comment I ever got!

They may be tasty, but beware of the pie rates! :)

4/05/2005 9:04 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

See the comments under the last post... Ryan was wondering why I hadn't commented on the Pope's passing yet. :)

4/05/2005 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this, Kristi. It's nice to hear something good about the pope from a real person. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Who cares?" and "He was just an old man who has been out of it for the past 10 years anyway" this past week. I guess it's just weird for me because he is the only pope that I ever remember.

I also thought it was weird to show pictures of the pope's body. I thought it must be some strange tradition to sort of parade a dead pope around and snap photos or something...

-Ryan

4/05/2005 8:00 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

"WHO CARES"?!? You're kidding me. Those people are only showing that they are abysmally ignorant of the impact on the world this man has made, if nothing other than they are totally heartless. I am surprised that you heard that from even one person, much less several. I'm glad then, that I could be a contrast to that for you.

Yeah, I think it's odd seeing images of his body too... I agree with Kristen, that's not how I want to remember him. But I don't think it's how I eventually will. I'll remember him as one of the greatest and most influential people my generation has ever known, definitely. He was MUCH more than a feeble old man, as those people are saying.. "Out of it??" Sheesh...

4/06/2005 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home