Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Travel Class Part II

Last night we started on the second part of the class, Travel Foundations II. This will focus more on learning the computer reservation system, also known as a global distribution system. The one we're learning is called Sabre. We'll have less quizzes and homework assignments, but participation in class is even more important because there's so much to learn in Sabre. The teacher said "you'll be saying, 'I can't take any more slashes, dashes, or astericks!!'" (wait a minute, I'll be sounding like Julia! ;) ) So it'll be interesting to say the least.

As I move on with this class and progress further towards my goal of a career in travel, doubts begin to pour in. Will I really get a job after this class is over? Will I really be effective in sales? Will I be smart enough to make recommendations and earn customers' trust? I've never been in sales before, nor have I ever thought it would be something I'd enjoy doing. But travel is a very sales-intensive field. Unless I move beyond working in a travel agency and get to do some planning of itineraries for tours and/or cruises. That's where the real fun would be for me. But you have to start somewhere, and it's usually in sales. I'm a little scared. But it's either that or stay at the place I'm at now... and we all know how I feel about that!

I made this entry using the "BlogThis!" feature on my Google Toolbar. Pretty nifty. :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sales is freaky, and I personally hate it - but I've found out I also excel in it.

I know you can do it! :) Have you considered going for the new position they posted internally recently? That would get you some sales experience, without actually having to bring in $$ at the same time.

I know you'll be great!
-Tanya

10/13/2004 9:07 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Yeah, I've thought about it... but I don't think I could do it with my current class schedule since it woule require me to work an evening. The only evening I could do is Monday but I'm not willing enough to give up the only weeknight I have free. So I'll probably stay in this position until it's time to leave.

10/13/2004 9:11 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Wow, Co-bin!! I didn't know you used to work in travel. Awesome. Yeah, we are learning what the teacher referred to as "Native Sabre," which means we'll be learning the DOS commands with all the slashes, dashes, and astericks. Boy oh boy. And I totally understand the city code thing... I hear them in my sleep... PHX ATL MCI MSP IAD LGA DFW DTW YUL MIA... aaghh...

10/13/2004 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could negotiate with them on the evening thing. Always worth a try. :)

I started memorizing airport codes when I lived in CT: LGA, JFK, STL, PHX...well, you know what i mean. :)

-Tanya

10/13/2004 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OKC and STL - only airport codes i find necessary. ;) i say go for it, too.

-turkeygirl

10/13/2004 1:39 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Actually I think it's already past the deadline to let Jim know...

10/13/2004 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home