Monday, October 25, 2004

Doggie Op - Part II

Jax is home from his surgery... he's still pretty out of it, going in and out of sleep. When the vet handed him to me, he was awake, but still limp. He had a collar on that prevented him from licking the area where the wound was... which is closed up with metal sutures. It looks pretty ugly... uglier than I had imagined. The fur all around the area is shaved off. He has a bandage around his leg where the IV was. Poor little guy. I have pain killers to give him later when the anesthesia has completely worn off.

The vet said that the symptoms that he's been having all seem to indicate Cushing's disease. It's not life-threatening in and of itself, but it can lead to more serious problems, such as diabetes, liver and kidney problems, and other things. Frequent urination and lack of bladder control are also symptoms, so that explains the accidents. There's a drug that he can take for it, but I get the feeling that it's expensive and the vet would like to see how he does for the next two weeks until we get the sutures taken out. Then, we'll talk more about it after that.

The main thing I'm worried about now, however, is whether or not the tumor that was just removed is malignant. The vet said it was a pretty aggressive, nasty one, so it is a possibility. We should get the results in about a week... I'm just trying not to think the worst until then.

Thanks for all your well wishes...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Hang in there - I know this isn't easy. Did he do okay overnight? Were you able to get some sleep?

10/26/2004 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you and Jax! I hope he continues to heal okay and I hope everything turns out all right...

Tanya

10/26/2004 9:33 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

He seemed to get through the night okay. He had to sleep with that collar on. I put him on the floor by my bed, with the pillows from the couch so that he'd be more comfortable, and I slept pretty well, except I heard him moving around at about 5:00 and I laid there and petted him until he seemed to fall back asleep and then I fell back asleep as well... so yeah, the night wasn't too bad. and he's walking around ok now. He even went up and down the stairs this morning, so that's good!

10/26/2004 9:40 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I sure will. A coworker told me over lunch that his dog had a really nasty, huge tumor that had to be removed from his neck, like it was sticking out and was totally visible and stuff. And it turned out to be benign. That gives me hope...

10/26/2004 2:08 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Hope your doggie gets better. :)

10/27/2004 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home