Saturday, July 11, 2009

W is for Whole Wheat Flour

Of course I have baked with all-purpose flour... have also baked with cake flour. But I have yet to try baking with whole wheat flour. It adds bonus nutrition to your baked goodies with no extra effort. I rounded up a few interesting recipes (of course from Baking Bites... I just have to say I love how she indexes and catalogs every recipe she has posted):



Strawberry Whole Wheat Pancakes
Whole Grain Banana Cake
Whole Grain Blueberry Buckle
Whole Wheat Maple Muffins
Cornbread Griddle Cakes
Whole Wheat Popovers
Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Crispy Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies



Who knew cookies could be so healthy? :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracie said...

I've baked with whole wheat flour. It's...different. The texture and taste obviously are different from regular flour. It acts differently too.

Let's just say I missed my regular waffles when I was using the whole wheat flour.

7/13/2009 1:42 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Were you using a recipe that specifically called for whole wheat flour, or were you just using it in place of all-purpose? Maybe recipes that specifically call for it have slight adjustments to them to compensate for the different taste/texture...

7/13/2009 4:13 PM  
Blogger Tracie said...

Nope, it was a recipe that called for WW Flour. It's just a different texture. That's why people started bleaching it. WW definitely adds to the flavor of whatever you're baking.

Anyway, I could see liking it in bread recipes but probably not in a delicate pastry recipe like pie crust. But that's just me. :)

7/14/2009 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home