Wednesday, May 03, 2006

International Training

This week I have been in a training class at work to study more about international itineraries. I wanted to take it because I was tired of thinking "EEP!" any time I got a phone call from a traveler going to a foreign destination. We've been going over world geography, necessary travel documents, interntational airlines and city codes, and special information pertaining to the res systems. For a little while there it was kind of like an extension to my current geography class I'm taking. (And in both I had to stand up and give a presentation on some place or other.) Anyways I've been finding it very interesting and definitely useful. Who knew that I could process an Australian visa electronically in Sabre (and it's the only country that allows that)?? Who knew that anyone leaving Israel trying to go to the United Arab Emirates or Saudi Arabia would not be allowed in? And who knew that Kuala Lumpur was the capital of Malaysia? :) Intriguing stuff.

If you're not already familiar with it, http://travel.state.gov is a fantastic source of information for traveling abroad. First read the travel warnings, then go to the Consular Information Sheets and read information about any country in the world and what you should know before going there. They even have special information for spring breakers and the horrible things that can happen to you if you are caught with drugs overseas. The whole site is full of worthwhile reading.

And also get a load of this hotel in Dubai if you haven't seen it yet.

Whether or not I get into more international bookings at work, I'm enjoying learning more about what I should know about it. Anything that puts me more in touch with the real world of travel is a welcome opportunity. (So, anyone want to go to Dubai??) :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is tres, tres exciting. So glad you've gotten to do it! It sounds like a lot of fun.

That hotel is AWESOME.

And oh yeah -

And who knew that Kuala Lumpur was the capital of Malaysia?

*Raises hand*
Four-time Geography Bee participant. Went to state three years in a row; top 10 in the state twice. I memorized loads of information like that.

And Myanmar's old name is....?

5/04/2006 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burma!

Never got to participate in a Geography Bee, but I did teach Geography and World History for a bit. Oh, and I love The King and I with Yul Brynner. :)

5/04/2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Whoo hoo! Geography trivia is great! Ok you guys, what are the new names of all of the following:

1) Siam
2) Constantinople (that one's easy)
3) Zaire
4) Bombay

5/04/2006 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Thailand.
2. Istanbul.
3. Congo.
4. Mumbai.

Whoo-hoo!!! (I believe Congo was the name of Zaire pre-Independence and I learned about the Mumbai/Bombay thing from Bride and Prejudice...)

5/04/2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well, it's actually the Democratic Republic of Congo or something like that... but good enough! Yay!

5/04/2006 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home