Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Class and Chicago

Class was good. There are three people that I've had classes with before, and of course this is my third class or so with this teacher, so it felt comfortable to walk in and know several people. The teacher sums up the class as "Destination Geography." So far the hardest thing is whether the west side or the east side of an island is the windward or the leeward side...uh... not sure...and I'll never figure out how the International Date Line works...

But anyways. Speaking of destinations, I'm going to Chicago next week to see Great Big Sea. It's gonna be a super fun concert and we're gonna tour a little of Chicago while we're there too...mainly go to Shedd Aquarium, and maybe hit some pubs. :) Our hotel is a block and a half from an L station and I got us a sweet deal with my travel agent card. Yep, I rule. Anyways... :) So I'll let you know how that went after we get back. Won't be as cool as New York, but still. Cool all the same.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Say "Hi!" to the penguins at Shedd's for me. I could have watched them all damn day. And the beluga whales were pretty awesome.

Have a great time! Hopefully I'll get to, you know, SEE YOU before you go. :)

1/24/2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I will tell them you said hi! :) And yeah, hopefully I will get to see you... maybe this weekend.

1/25/2006 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The windward side is that side of an island subject to prevailing wind and is therefore usually wetter because it receives more precipitation. The leeward side is the drier side of the island that is sheltered from much of the prevailing wind. This concept applies to more than just islands...think of your visit to Reno. Reno is really dry because it is on the leeward side of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range. The parts of California on the windward side receive more moisture...that's why it is much greener there.

Couldn't help the geography lesson.
-Ryan

1/26/2006 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...I think usually the West side would be windward and the east side leeward. That should be easy enough to remember...W...West Windward...E...East..lEEward.

-Ryan

1/26/2006 10:46 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Augh, don't confuse me.. :) There were THREE questions on this concept on our 15-question quiz over Part I. Yes. Three. They drove the point home that in the tropics, the west side of an island is the leeward and the eastern side is the windward. So I'll try to remember that it's backwards. :)

1/26/2006 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you learned the concept. Now, I am gonna go off and read about why its backward for islands in the tropics from the way it is in the continental U.S. in the mid-latitudes.

-Ryan

1/27/2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

No need to go off and read. It's because of the tradewinds in the tropics. They blow from east to west. :)

1/27/2006 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha...Thank YOU for the geography lesson. The tradewinds of my brain always blow south apparently!

-Ryan

1/28/2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Yeah, I still need to see the ones at the STL zoo. Still haven't.

It was a great time.. I'll blog about it in a bit.

I know it means elevated train. Sorry. I'll write it like that from now on. It was just easier to type "L."

2/05/2006 10:05 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2/08/2006 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home