Tuesday, October 04, 2005

UNWanted: Blog Spam

All of a sudden my blog has become the target of several commenters out to only promote their own sites. I've already tried putting a line in my template to keep web crawlers away but it hasn't worked. For some reason they seem to like this post, which I posted almost a year ago. I don't mind an occasional comment now and then from a well-wishing stranger, but since I have had so many in such a short time, and all promoting some service or other on their own sites, I imagine something is up.

Blog spammers, stay the hell away. I don't want to look at your dating sites or astrology sites or even Halloween costume sites. Just stay away. Don't make me have to password-protect this blog... I hear you can do that and I just might have to, even though I don't want to.

And just watch. In five minutes this post will have comments from people with some garage sale auction site or geneology site or whatever.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm...send me $50 and I will tell you all about your future. And I can also tell you about your family geneology (for an extra $50). Visit my garage sale auction site at the following url:
http://coopsgaragesaleauctionsitehoroscopepredictionandfamilyhistory.com

Seriously, if you password protect your site, don't forget to let me know!

-RC

10/04/2005 9:22 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Ha ha!! Brilliant. :) That cracked me up.

I will CERTAINLY let you know if it comes to that! :)

10/04/2005 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't suppose Blogger has a "Captcha" system? If so, that would help block out spam comments. A Captcha is an image that you have to verify the characters on before you can fully submit a comment. If you've posted on C's blog before, you'll know what I'm talking about. The idea is to stop "bots" or programs from automatically adding spam comments.

The reason why they're posting to older posts is because they're automated scripts - i.e. it's like letting a cat out to chase a rat. You hope the cat will catch the rat but you don't really have to do anything other then let the cat loose. The rat is the website, the owner the spammer, and the cat is the spammers program to try and spam the site. Course, the trick is "cats" or the spam on your site is free for all intents and purposes for the spammer to send, and can hit thousands of websites with very very little effort.

Welcome to the wonderful world of spam! Off hand, I'd recommend removing anonymous comments at the very least. If you can get Captcha's working, that'd be even better.
Jason

10/04/2005 11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blogger DOES have captcha. i've seen it on other blogger sites. not sure if you have to pay for it, though...

10/04/2005 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home