Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Thoughts on Chapter 8 - Cruises

"I've been the world over, know south, east, and west,
But the middle of nowhere's where I likes it best..."
-Great Big Sea, "Wave Over Wave"

So how would you like to take up permanent residence on a cruise ship? If you so happen to have around $1.5 million laying around somewhere, you can actually buy a condo on board a cruise ship and travel year-round. Wow. Talk about a way to spend retirement. Would any of you out there actually consider doing that, if money were not an issue?

Here's another nontraditional way to cruise... hop on board a freight ship and cruise along with the cargo! Yeah, it might not be as romantic as a luxury ocean liner, but you can visit some pretty out-of-the-way places that aren't as crammed with tourists as others. I'm not sure that would appeal to me, however. I like PRETTY boats! (er, ships.)

Man, I so need to go on one of these nautical vacations sometime. Even the ferry crossing from Ireland to Wales was one of the highlights of my last trip for me... well, there were many aspects that made that crossing magical, but it really made me want to be on a boat more often.

Well, that wraps up our chapter on cruises... tomorrow we talk about tours. Not QUITE as fun as cruises, but still fun!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. Well, I really looked at the residensea site. My first thought was NO WAY because I would get sick of living on a boat pretty quickly. But when you really go through the site... wow. The apartments look gorgeous and there are so many ammenities AND you are going to new places all the time. Sure- I would lease it for a year! Oh wait... I don't have the $1.5 mil to buy it.
-Kristen

9/29/2004 8:08 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I might spend a year or two traveling the world, but I don't think I could take up permanent residence. I would eventually want to go home. I didn't look that closely at the site, but I think you can cruise on board them without buying a condo for awhile too.

9/29/2004 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on. How many people who have vacation condos actually LIVE in that condo year round. They're more like vacation spots, and good investments to rent out, too! Honestly, if you have 1.5 million just lying around as pocket change, chances are pretty good that there is a pretty large permanent home aside from the cruise ship. Would I want one? Hell no!! There's only so many times you can walk around a ship before getting bored. I think I'd be done after a week.

>>>Janice

9/30/2004 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home